The performance of the building envelope is critical for the structural integrity, durability, and effective operation of any building. Performance failures due to uncontrolled moisture intrusion, heat, or air loss can compromise a building - bringing added legal, maintenance, and remedial costs and devaluing a capital investment.
Wallace-Kuhl's team consists of state-licensed plan examiners, engineers and architects, and certified building inspectors. In this era of evolving state-wide building code, it is critical to have plan reviewers and inspectors knowledgeable of the latest regulatory statutes. We also understand that rapid turnaround time on plan review can represent significant savings to developers, owners, and contractors, which is why we place significant focus on identifying key players and forming a cohesive project team structure.
Wallace-Kuhl's Building Sciences department is largely supported by the Western Region Building Sciences team, which supports clients during all stages of a facility life cycle, including design, construction, and renovation, as well as operations and maintenance. Wallace-Kuhl can now provide condition assessments, forensic investigations, design and design review, contract administration, testing, quality assurance observation, and inspections for the building envelope.
From pre-construction consulting, mock-up and job site testing, fabrication, and job site inspection, to special inspections, UES’ proven professionals are known for their ability to recognize and troubleshoot problematic window assemblies, roofing, and waterproofing design issues before they substantially impact budgets and schedules. UES also offers post-construction assessment and forensic evaluation together with consulting services for those problematic issues that surface after the installation of the envelope component.
Plan review is a crucial component of the construction process. Wallace-Kuhl understands the importance of having adept professionals perform reviews. Wallace-Kuhl has provided these services for clients on new construction and existing structures with a high quality of satisfaction. Plans examiners from Wallace-Kuhl have provided plan review as required per the ICC and local adopted building codes on all new buildings, including industrial, residential, commercial, educational, and government. Wallace-Kuhl has been conducting building plan examinations since the company’s early beginnings.
Our certified plans examiners provide a thorough examination of all building systems, including wall assemblies, structural designs, roofing, M.E.P. installation requirements, energy, grading, accessibility, and zoning. Our team of examiners is knowledgeable of not only codes, but also manufacturer requirements. Wallace-Kuhl individuals who are part of the municipal support group are multi-certified, which allows them to have a working knowledge of how all these different construction systems work together.
Wallace-Kuhl’s inspectors have undergone a thorough certification process that will ensure that the client’s project is built per plan and with quality materials. Our inspectors are familiar with the latest construction materials, methods, equipment, and other technological innovations. A thorough understanding of techniques, testing procedures, verification procedures, and the application of various building materials is what differentiates a Wallace-Kuhl special inspector. Our inspectors have worked for various municipal jurisdictions before becoming an integral part of the Wallace-Kuhl Building Sciences department. Typically, our inspectors are multi-certified combination inspectors.
Building Envelope is known in the building sciences industry as many components and systems that protect the interior of the building from the exterior elements. The Building Envelope encompasses roofing, exterior walls, air barriers, windows and doors, foundations, and floors. Our Building Envelope consulting includes the following processes and procedures:
Pre-Construction Document Review
The purpose of our pre-construction review is to identify and eliminate any potential components that will lead to code violations and/or construction that will not meet manufacturer recommendations. Items like these discovered during construction can cause delays and/or lead to additional construction costs.
Our inspections focus on digitally documenting the construction process during the construction of various building components to confirm they meet industry standards. Our Site Inspection services include:
- Weatherization (Air Barrier, Fenestrations, and Flashings)
- Decking and Waterproofing
- Exterior Cladding and Stucco
- Roofing Composite
- AAMA and ASTM Spray Testing for the Exterior Wall Components
- Roof Leakage Water Testing
- Infrared Inspection
- Drone Inspections
- Blower Door and Duct Leak Testing
By tapping into UES' nationwide personnel and resources, Wallace-Kuhl can provide the following Design Consulting services:
- Develop Concept and Preliminary Design
- Review Design Intent, Shop Drawings, and Specifications
- Ensure Code Compliance
- Review Glass and Glazing Building Maintenance Schedule
- Review Wind Tunnel Testing and Analysis of Results
- Develop Preliminary Roofing and Waterproofing Design
- Prepare Performance Specifications and Details
- Analyze Alternate Cladding, Roofing, and Waterproofing Systems
- Review of Bid and Contract Documents
- Assist with Bid Analysis and Subcontractor Selection
- Confirm Design of Building Conforms to Code
- Critique Subcontractor Shop Drawings and Submittal
Assessment and Remedial Consulting
Wallace-Kuhl, with the support of UES' nationwide personnel and resources, can provide the following Assessment and Remedial Consulting services:
- Perform Due Diligence/Pre-Purchase Inspections and Provide Detailed Reporting
- Investigate Water Intrusion Issues and Propose Remedial Alternatives
- Assess Window System, Roofing, and Waterproofing System Failures and Develop Remedial Plans
- Evaluate Conditions and Failures of Exterior Wall Cladding Systems
- Provide Concept and Design Development Detailing for Window Replacement and Building Re-Cladding
- Prepare Specifications and Provide Inspection Services for Remedial Repair or Replacement Work
- Provide Expert Witness Consultant Services Including Testimony